Spite Forums
If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Printable Version

+- Spite Forums (https://spitelarp.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Out of Game Discussions (https://spitelarp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Rules Discussion (https://spitelarp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... (/showthread.php?tid=343)

Pages: 1 2 3

If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Marc DeArmond - 05-02-2015

A cripple body effect allows for zero locomotion or speech. This is all fine and good assuming you get hit with it around your buddies who can cart you back to the infirmary. But this isn't likely to be the situation 100% of the time. This rule currently looks like a potential point which could cause someone to lie in the ground in a puddle in the rain for 4 hours.

Before you say someone shouldn't do that, understand that it has happened in other games multiple times. Given the option of losing your character or doing something unhealthy, many people chose to do something unhealthy.

So, in light of all of that. If you find yourself crippled body and left totally alone, what should you do? Should be there some rule that after being cripple body for an hour could you switch to cripple all 4 limbs, poisioned, and drained.

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - John Pariury II - 05-03-2015

How is that not covered under the the Safety policy covered under pg 9? i.e. if you clearly have been lost Crippled in the woods, why wouldn't you go let the Hive know? If you are responsible for having left a Crippled Body alone in the woods, why wouldn't you let the Hive know so that they can take whatever action they deem appropriate and safe?

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Marc DeArmond - 05-03-2015

(05-03-2015, 12:52 AM)John Pariury II Wrote: How is that not covered under the the Safety policy covered under pg 9?  i.e. if you clearly have been lost Crippled in the woods, why wouldn't you go let the Hive know?  If you are responsible for having left a Crippled Body alone in the woods, why wouldn't you let the Hive know so that they can take whatever action they deem appropriate and safe?

I honestly don't see how the safety rules as written apply here. Besides the implication that you should assure your own safety, there's nothing that indicates that you should ignore how an effect works because it inconveniences you.

The issue here is there is no mechanism for getting out of a cripple body if left alone. As per your argument on self nerf, you can't even chose to die.

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Mr. F - 05-03-2015

Hmmm, while taking every debuff in the book is certainly an interesting outcome, I feel that, left in the woods of a quarentine zone with cripple body, its more likely that you would be killed by from after a bit of time
say, an hour alone and its just character death.

This allows you longer than if you were just hit to 0hp, and given that cripple body has only one player source, that source also allows the caster to still just... shoot and end someone with a firearm.

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - John Pariury II - 05-04-2015

(05-03-2015, 01:11 PM)Marc DeArmond Wrote: I honestly don't see how the safety rules as written apply here. Besides the implication that you should assure your own safety, there's nothing that indicates that you should ignore how an effect works because it inconveniences you.
Who suggested ignoring how an effect works?

Your prior statement was "Given the option of losing your character or doing something unhealthy, many people chose to do something unhealthy". Clearly, laying around in a puddle waiting for some bint to throw a sword at you is unsafe for your health and you shouldn't do it. If you've hit the point where being found reasonably soon is not likely, I don't see an issue with dropping some gear and a note to rep "you" while you go to the Hive and let them know "Hey, I'm out here all on my lonesome, no way to move, no one to save me. What can we do?". I suspect in this unlikely scenario the Hive folk would work out a way for you, the player, to get back to having fun - maybe have some NPCs of one form or another grab your body and move it into game, for instance. Maybe a wandering Good Guy unit dropped a marker in BattleTac and radio it in for someone to go find you. You could leave your "self" out in the woods and go NPC or play a second character for the rest of the event.

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Natalya Haner - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 08:02 AM)John Pariury II Wrote: If you've hit the point where being found reasonably soon is not likely, I don't see an issue with dropping some gear and a note to rep "you" while you go to the Hive and let them know "Hey, I'm out here all on my lonesome, no way to move, no one to save me.  What can we do?".  I suspect in this unlikely scenario the Hive folk would work out a way for you, the player, to get back to having fun - maybe have some NPCs of one form or another grab your body and move it into game, for instance.  Maybe a wandering Good Guy unit dropped a marker in BattleTac and radio it in for someone to go find you.  You could leave your "self" out in the woods and go NPC or play a second character for the rest of the event.

This would violate the WYSIWYG rule. Not mention it would involve the Hive where they don't need to be, and creates meta-gaming type scenarios, which is also against the rules.

The whole problem would be solved with a rule that if you are Crippled and you can't move or speak, then after X time (10 minutes, hour, whatever is decided) your character dies of their wounds. Go make a new character and get back out in to the game.

(05-04-2015, 01:35 PM)Natalya Haner Wrote: This would violate the WYSIWYG rule.
How do you feel that it would be significantly different from the crates of "Food" that had no food, etc. we encountered during the game?

Quote:Not mention it would <snip> creates meta-gaming type scenarios, which is also against the rules.
Can you provide some context for that statement?

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Mr. J - 05-04-2015

I think the meta game comes from the fact that if someone goes to the trouble to get you alone in the woods and drop you there, you shouldn't be able to go to Hive camp and ask for them to save you. That's Hive stepping in to undo a player's work at that point, which isn't really cool. Plus if people could just go to Hive to get saved then where's the risk of death? I agree with the time limit to death. It makes sense that if a person's body was crippled then they would die of wounds or some bug would come by to off them.

I would suspect if someone gets you out into the woods on your lonesome and Cripple Body's your character is likely doing their best to achieve the goal of killing the character and/or detaining them beyond what is outlined in the rulebook. That's definitely a situation that should be brought to the game runners' attention.

As for what the game runners choose to do in that situation, that's beyond the player's control, but I don't know that it should be beyond the game runners'. Maybe they'll say "Enh, your character died", maybe they won't, depending on the situation and their intention for that Event (big 'E').

That's not really metagaming, though.

RE: If a Crippled Body falls in the forest... - Mr. J - 05-04-2015

But it is, because before you told them your character was out there they were unaware, and so were any NPCs they might send out. So they would be making IG decisions with information they would be given OOG.