Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obey
I realize this one was already brought up in the Rules Thread on Facebook, but I have some questions still.

Let me first say that mechanistically, I like the idea of Obeys, and I want them to exist, however my concern is over their abuse or misuse if they are not well defined. I just want to clear up potential grey area I see.

My first concern is when they end. The following line was already added to the rulebook:
Quote:Commands will either contain one or more specific actions, an explicit completion condition, or are assumed to be completed once the subject (“me,” “it,” “your allies,” etc) is no longer conscious or accessible. Your active ability will determine what kind of command you can give.
"Completed once the subject is no longer conscious."
Hypothetically, lets say Michael Cyborg is commanded "Obey: Attack your Allies." And Michael Cyborg, being the friendly sort, considers every player and faction NPC on site his ally. He then spends the entire game relentlessly hunting and killing every single player. Let's say he succeeds in KOing all the people who can remove all/remove obey first, and then everyone else. Only at the death of everyone, does the effect end?
What about "Accessible"
If a player is hiding in a building, in plain sight through a window, but behind a closed, but not locked, door, is this inaccessible? If they're hiding in the woods and Michael Cyborg's player would really rather not tromp through that to find this person, are they still considered accessible, and Michael's rampage must continue?
If Michael Cyborg, is miraculously KO'd, does he now consider everyone inaccessible? The rules only expressly state the consciousness of the directed target of the Obey, not the person who was the subject of the Obey. If Michael Cyborg is then brought back from the brink of death, does he immediately attack his savior, because the Obey persists through personal unconsciousness?
Quote:An afflicted character will use active abilities, passive abilities, En, Items, and put themselves in harm’s way to complete the <command>
Makes it seem as though minor things, such as running and hiding or being inside a building, are not a sufficient barrier to access. I'm honestly not sure a player character's loss of personal consciousness is a sufficient barrier to end KO.

There was an example on the thread as well, of someone being "Obey: Follow me" as soon as game starts on Friday. Do they really have to do everything in their power to spend all 40+ hours of their game following the person until they get KO'd? Given that someone must use abilities, En, etc to maintain the Obey, I imagine someone under Obey: Follow me will be attacking people who try to hold them back from following their quarry. The above examples about closed doors apply as well. When does follow me end?

With Obey: Drop (Tagged Item) and ignore it, if the Obey is cleansed, does the target suddenly recall they dropped their gun in front of Jessica Psychic, or do they simply stop ignoring it, if they see it again in the hands of Jessica Psychic (or anyone else).

Conflicting Obeys:
This was somewhat addressed in the Rules thread, but it still has some shakiness. Let's say two people hit Guinevere Android with "Obey: Defend Me" and immediately walk off in opposite directions. Who is Guinevere Android supposed to follow and defend? If follows Caster A, but Caster A then gets KO'd despite Guinevere's best efforts, ending the Obey from Caster A because they are unconscious, does Guinever Android then immediately seek out Caster B, even though it has been 10 hours since Obey Defend Me was cast by Caster B and that was the last time Guinevere saw them?

Ending Obey:
Can a caster willingly end their own Obey? Or can it only be Removed by an appropriate caster or the completion of the task?

I realize this is more than one direct question in a single rules thread. But I assumed no one wants like 4 topics on Obey, I'm trying to keep it condensed.

[Edit] Fixed some wording in Conflicting Obeys.
Obey will always be the most "grey area" effect in the game. We will endeavor to make sure that the commands are given are fairly clear, but there will always be situations that we won't foresee and people that will be a little too concerned about the impacts to their own character. The first rule of Obey should really be, "Don't be cheesy." We really like the flexibility of Obey and have intentions of using it in some really interesting ways that player characters don't have access to. This really brings us to the second rule of Obey, which is the first one I think we have written, which basically comes down to, "there's probably an obvious thing that they mean when they told me what to do, I should do that."

The clarification that was made to Obey was honestly a concession to alleviate some abuse concerns. If Obey were only available to NPCs, my answer would be, "Trust your Plot Team to help make an awesome game." I would love to be able to say "trust your fellow players to help make an awesome game," but the reality is that some players are going to interpret that in different ways, and we want the world to be consistent, so we need some boundaries. So, to answer your questions more directly:

a) There are no timed effects in Spite, so yes, if someone manages to methodically kill every character, starting with the people that can fix them, and then continues to kill everyone in the entire camp, that is valid within the scope of the rules, and I'll buy them a beer. In practice I have never seen an effect like this last more than a couple of days (and we had a team of people put a lot of work into that one time), and 97% of the time it only lasts a few minutes (tops) before someone does something about it.

b) Accessible means not too difficult to reasonably access. If you're behind an unlocked door and the rampaging, mind-controlled cyborg saw you go into the room, they're gonna getcha. If you bail into the woods and they're not sure where you are, they'll search a bit but pull themselves together before they do too much crashing around in the shrubs to hunt you down. Similarly, if someone is knocked out, everyone is inaccessible to them.

c) Once an item is down and ignored, it could be re-presented to the person as a valid item. The idea is that we're not using a "Disarm/Fumble/whatever" skill that some games have because we don't want people throwing Nerf guns or other props to the ground. We also don't want to put a time frame on how long something has to stay down or out of the possession of the person before they can have it again. In most of the games that we play, a similar skill lasts 3-10 seconds, which is never an accurate accounting of how long it actually stays away. By requiring another person to be involved, it's going to take some non-trivial amount of time to recover the item, which is really the point.

d) "Whenever possible, multiple effects are allowed to be present concurrently, but in cases where it would be impossible to meet the requirements of all effects the most recent effect takes precedence over earlier effects." It is possible to have multiple Obeys running at the same time, but the most recent one wins in a conflict. If you're following someone and are redirected with another Obey, and then lose track of the first person that you're following, the first Obey has ended, anyways.