Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMS messaging
Is there meant to be a site-wide SMS system that players use in lieu of their own cell phone systems?

I ask because it seems like this could be a common vector of communication external to radios, as well as a potential venue for Hackers to exploit.
(01-06-2015, 02:26 PM)John Pariury II Wrote: Is there meant to be a site-wide SMS system that players use in lieu of their own cell phone systems?

I ask because it seems like this could be a common vector of communication external to radios, as well as a potential venue for Hackers to exploit.

Sounds very powerful/useful, especially since most of our communications will be on a public channel and take a skill point to access. I had the same idea as you and I'm hoping it will be implemented under Communications III

Communications Wrote:Rank 3: Access communications hub website. You may access this website via laptop or smartphone on site. This site will give you IG information exclusive to this path. Passive ability.

I hope they will release more information before game so we can skill appropriately. If the comm. hub website does allow SMS messaging I can see it becoming an essential skill for larger groups because the organization and privacy benefits.
My assumption is that if on-site SMS messaging is a thing, then it would still require Comm1, at least. But it would have drawbacks and benefits: hackable, more private, delayed delivery, etc. But it could allow sending of pictures, for instance, which was indicated as allowed.
In everything we do with Spite, there is a balance between realism, gameplay, and simplicity that we've got to deal with. In medieval games, a lot of stuff gets explained away with "It's magic!" or "that doesn't exist in this world!" Spite has "It's the future!" going for it, but we all have a reasonable idea of what may or may not exist in the future, especially when it exists already. There's some stuff that we can make rules for, and there's some stuff that we would like to be able to do but is impractical, and finally there's stuff that we'd just like to do without.

Our Technomancy team is building us a integrated character database/hacking system/banking system. That's pretty damn cool. It's also a lot of work. So while having systems for things like hijacking video feeds, intercepting electronic messages, and the like would be cool and realistic, it's not practical at this point. Further, while it's possible with today's technology to be pretty secure in sending encrypted information and be very sure that messages and files aren't being intercepted, that level of security actively suppresses role play and intrigue. We want people to be able to screw up and for information to fall into the wrong hands because it makes the game more fun when it does.

We're actively working on the newest version of the rules, and it is looking very likely that Comms is getting some significant updates. There's a possibility we might use a third party app to suppliment our options. We're also working on a simple way to represent stealing digital media. There should be some new stuff to see soon on these specific sorts of topics.
Sure, I totally get that. Most of my questions are aimed at finding out what the limits of what you want to support are. Given that the game world is not just "sci-fi futurery" but outright "a sci-fi, speculative future of this world", it's good to know what those thresholds are.

One way you might try to explain away some of the lack might be something along the lines of:

"The infestation of the bugs brought with it some sort of jamming technology, blocking most previous forms of communication. Cellular technology, remote control devices, and the like have been rendered nearly inoperable - only recently has radio transmission been re-established as viable, and even that has shown only limited success. Scientists continue to debate on the source of the issues - is it a transmission-reactive pheromone, some form of psionic interaction with, or some other root source to the problem?"

That could also leave it open as a possible thing to be solved if you decide to add that sort of tech later on: send the players on a mission to discover the exact nature of the issue and come up with a resolution.
That's basically our explanation for a lot of not having modern conveniences.  Bug interference / radiation / whathaveyou makes a lot of our modern communications infrastructure inoperable, just like it does for our guns.  There's a financial system because somebody spent money making sure money could exist in the quarantine zone, but couldn't or didn't want to put the energy required to make other parts of the Internet available.  You can't just use your cell phone to call or text your buddy because those infrastructures are down.  There are one or more frequencies that you can do voice comms on, but they require technical expertise to actively counteract the interference.
So, to answer the OP more fully: No, there is not meant to be a site-wide SMS system, and players are asked not to use OOG technical communication mechanisms for IG communication.
On the Facebook page, it was indicated that the Terradrone would be legal:

Quote:John Pariury II Actually, though, that does open a couple of questions:

1 - there are a number of remote Nerf launchers like the TerraDrone and an assortment of USB dart launchers. Would those be legal for players to make use of, and if so, what skillsets are required?

2 - Can I use an airzooka to knock darts offcourse midair?
November 14, 2014 at 9:56am

Matthew Oostman I'm going to say no to airzooka, or otherwise blowing darts off course with silliness. #1 is allowed, but I'm not sure about the skill requirement.

May I suggest that that bit be rescinded, then? At least for the non-wired remote launchers.
The Rules Meisters are working on something to support drones and traps and such. For the purposes of, "players are asked not to use OOG technical communication mechanisms for IG communication," I meant character-character communication. Stay tuned for more refined rules about remote controlled things.