Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comm2 / BattleTac
So, looking at the app, it appears that each team member must carry a GPS-enabled phone or tablet on them to be of use. Does carrying such a device qualify as "using" it, though, for the purposes of Comm2?

It seems like it should be sufficient to allow one guy with Comm2 to create the account/sign someone up and set their device to the necessary "radio frequency". This avoid weirdness like "Hey, that backpack has the BattleTac app running on it, do you have the skill, if not, you have to drop the device".
Should folks with T-Mobile, who's coverage at the field is described as spotty/unreliable, simply forgo Commo, since Battle Tac relies on cell coverage?
JP,

I have alerted Matt and hopefully he will update soon.

David,

That's up to the individual player. We couldn't do extensive testing at the site of all the carriers (the people there didn't have them). We will know more on game one. Tablets are also an option. From my understanding BattleTac relies on GPS not cell service.
Battletac communicates to other linked devices via some sort of internet connection AFAIK.
Marvin the Martian
[Image: acme-logo.png]
Subcontractor for Wartime Salvage
BattleTac is designed to be squad based, so you shouldn't need everyone in your group to be running it. It presumes that everything is a group, rather than tracking individual movements. It'll run on data and wifi, and you can set the update rate so it's not killing your battery. It should be helpful no matter where you are on site; even in the mess hall on wifi you'll still be able to tell if someone else with Comms 2 marks incoming bugs on the map.
Matt indicated on the Facebook page that wifi is available in parts of the camp:

"We'll have wifi in at least parts of camp. If anyone has a repeater that they're interested in bringing, those areas will grow."

Presumably repeaters are not meant to be game items.

Thanks, Ron!
By "repeater", do you mean wireless router?
I mean a wifi repeater. If you've got one you'd like to bring, great! If not, we'll have wifi in some major areas at least.
(04-09-2015, 05:15 PM)Matt Oostman Wrote: BattleTac is designed to be squad based, so you shouldn't need everyone in your group to be running it. It presumes that everything is a group, rather than tracking individual movements. It'll run on data and wifi, and you can set the update rate so it's not killing your battery. It should be helpful no matter where you are on site; even in the mess hall on wifi you'll still be able to tell if someone else with Comms 2 marks incoming bugs on the map.

BattleTac doesn't magically know that people are existent, though, much less where they are. While someone with Comm2 can mark an area as "There are bugs here", it doesn't give you the ability to actually track them. In order to do that, you would have do something like put a cell phone with BattleTac on it, logged into the system, into a backpack and then trick the bug into carrying it off. Which then begs the question of "do they need to have Comm2 for me to do that?". Which gets back to "If I have Comm2, can I grab all of my teammates phones, install the app, sign them in, and then let them run on their merry way and be able to track them?".

Them not having the skill and using the phone to track back would probably be a no-go, but sticking something on them in order to track them (or their things) doesn't seem untoward.
I'm not tech savvy, so I may have one and not realize it. I'd be happy to bring it if its the right thing.