Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thieving: what to do with stolen tagged items
RE: Touch the player’s shoulder and say, “Action, give me all your tagged items”. The player must reveal all In-Character Items on their person.

Mr. F, its actually not overpowered at all. In fact, putting it in a skill takes it down a peg. See, its also a system that's used in World of Oz where anyone can do that without costing anything. You might be surprised at how little its used on PC's. I do agree with you that a Larceny path may not be the answer either, but it was an idea Smile

Actually, I would like to take a step back and go back to the original theft rules:

Quote:You may not take untagged items from other players or staff; this is stealing and is a real world crime. If you steal a tagged item, please turn the prop in to plot camp at your earliest convenience and the tag is yours to keep. You may only take the tag from radios, media devices, gadgets, and other expensive or fragile items (leaving the prop behind). If your tagged item is stolen, you may retrieve the prop from plot camp by the end of game. The only exception to this is ammunition, which is covered below. You may use an item or ammo, taken from a foe but the prop should be turned over to the player or plot camp after the resolution of the scene. If you pick up a tagged weapon you may use it until the scene is over but you must turn the prop over to the original owner or plot camp when you are done.

The rules don't actually say anything about taking items off a person, so I'm going to assume that you can't without using an Effect. That's interesting if that's the case, but perhaps this needs some clarification on that point.

If you steal a tagged item, please turn the prop in to plot camp at your earliest convenience and the tag is yours to keep.

This is the main part I would like to see changed. There should be a chance of recourse for the victim and my suggestion is:

"All tagged items for the character you are currently playing and that you have stolen must remain in an IG area, even if hidden, until the tagged item is Sundered, fenced to an NPC in game, or the end of the event. At the end of the event, you may then remove tags off stolen items and return the props their owners or taken to Plot."

This could be the simplest solution. It gives a chance of recourse, it makes the thief be more clever, and it facilitates role-play from many angles such as the victim searching for their stuff, the Agency conducts an investigation, the thief has to hide/get away, if thief is caught there could be courts and jail time, and you get the idea.

While I thought the idea of marking tags was interesting, after thinking about all that would have to happen to make it work, I do not think that you should be able to mark your tags in any way. Theft should be allowed and marking tags makes theft impossible.

You may only take the tag from radios, media devices, gadgets, and other expensive or fragile items (leaving the prop behind).

This is good because it covers how to handle expensive and fragile items that could definitely be broken by a thief, and yet allows the thief to walk away with a tag right then and there. I feel that this is a fair trade. All other tagged items, including shields and weapons, are fair game for thieves to walk away with, except...

If you pick up a tagged weapon you may use it until the scene is over but you must turn the prop over to the original owner or plot camp when you are done.

This probably needs some clarification here because it reads to me that you can't actually steal a tagged weapon. I'm pretty sure 'combat scene' is what is meant here, but a scene could be anything in game. A thief in a cabin is a scene. Smile
Wile E. Coyote
[Image: acme-logo.png]
subcontractor of Wartime Salvage
I would HATE the 'give up all your items' power. Lets be honest... how does that even work? Real thieves don't walk up, and walk away with your phone, wall, armor, guns, etc, etc. Freaking way over powered. I prefer people steal with good old fashioned stealth. Its a What you see is what you get game... if you can't steal it, you can't steal it.

If I can't read someones mind with "Telepathy", then no should be able to steal everything from me with a single call.
William Myers aka Cossak Symon Jenkins
May not be able to read someone's mind, but you can break their arm Wink

Like I said, its a system from another game where it works really well. The key point about it is that you don't search someone when their conscious. That would be silly. Anyone who performs a search always waits until the target is down and unconscious. Trust me, it is a system that works and it doesn't even need to be a skill that you have to buy.

Instead of that, what did you think of this suggestion?

"All tagged items for the character you are currently playing and that you have stolen must remain in an IG area, even if hidden, until the tagged item is Sundered, fenced to an NPC in game, or the end of the event. At the end of the event, you may then remove tags off stolen items and return the props their owners or taken to Plot."

Please feel free to post your own suggestions Smile
Wile E. Coyote
Can't even really 'break someones arm' either, that's what I don't get about the WYSIWYG system. I can say "I pretend to hit you" and the person can say "I take it like a badass and don't give in" all day long. yay. There are limits to WYSIWYG. But for theft... I'd rather a sneak person get my stuff, then letting a skill do it.
That sounds like a whole other conversation... you should start a new topic for discussion.
Wile E. Coyote
(04-30-2015, 03:22 PM)Natalya Haner Wrote: That sounds like a whole other conversation... you should start a new topic for discussion.

Sorry! Smile
No problem at all! WYSIWYG is an interesting discussion with the points you bring up. I'd just like to keep this thread on topic is all Smile
Wile E. Coyote
I actually like how Alliance does it.
If you steal a tagged item, the owner of the phys rep decides if you continue using it or not.
Which is somewhat like you were saying. I like the concept of only taking the tag for more fragile items, but using the phys rep for weapons/armor/shields/etc.
Take the thing, ask the owner oog if they want the phys rep back, and carry on.

As far as concerns about weapons or items being broken, the majority of them are being used for combat. If they're stolen they'll likely be used for combat.
We discussed immersion at opening, and everyone followed it to a T. Why can't we do the same for respecting other's items?
I'd rather we foster a community that trusts each other to take care of us and our things than be afraid of having my fancy latex sword or nerf blaster smashed by the inconsiderate straw man. na'mean?
Keegan "K" Ryan, WTS, Alternative Counselor, Circuit Monkey.
Honorary ACME fan club member.
"Princess Ariel".
HexaDoc
Wartime Salvage
-KIA-

"Ash", Pale Horse
Exim
Wartime Salvage
So here's the thing for me, I DON'T expect anyone to intentionally break somebody's thing, but accidents do happen. If I drop and break my $200 media device, that's on me. If Mongo drops it, then it's Mongo's responsibility to replace it. I financially cannot replace someone's IPad I'd I'm forced to carry it around instead of the tag. There is also chain of ownership to think of. If I take Steven's thing, Mongo takes it from me and Bob takes out from Mongo...

Better to use tags. Individualized tags would be the ppreferred method for me, as then investigations can take place on items.
The Theft rules already covers how to handle expensive and/or fragile props with this line:

"You may only take the tag from radios, media devices, gadgets, and other expensive or fragile items (leaving the prop behind)."

Like I said, I feel that its a fair trade to let a thief walk away with a tag scott free leaving those props behind rather than risking the item be broken. I mean, I don't want someone running around with my smartphone. I WANT the thief to take the tag and leave my phone with me.

I do not like the line that covers all other items:

"If you steal a tagged item, please turn the prop in to plot camp at your earliest convenience and the tag is yours to keep."

Keegan's post is spot on with all points and solution.
Wile E. Coyote