Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voluntary Negative Status Effects
So, within the system there are ways to do a variety of negative status effects to folk against their will...
...but for the sake of Role-play, is it possible for folk to do negative status effects or damage to themselves?

As in - is this allowed?

(And follow-up question #1 ... can effects added in this way also be removed by the player, after being added?)
(And follow-up question #2 ... can this be used as a lead-up to killing or otherwise permanently removing a character?)

Here's a few examples of the main question:
Joe the EXIM decides that he's going to RP a cocaine overdose.  He's an EXIM, so, decides little things like a 1/4 pound of cocaine that would probably kill a normal person isn't enough to kill him, but, would be enough to mess him up something fierce.  He decides it'll POSION him, and, drop his HP down to 1.  
He then proceeds to thrash about on the floor... and/or... simply lie there for the next person who wanders in to find him.

Jim and John decide are yelling at each-other, and, engage in some (safe) physical role-play. They tug and wrestle around for a bit. John then suggests that his gun-toting-solider character is probably much stronger than Jim's technician - so - he thinks that the horseplay will result in a broken arm for Jim.  Jim agrees, applies a Cripple: ARM effect to himself, and screams out in pain.

Carl walks up to Biff and says: "My EXIM grabs your arm and snaps it like a twig."  Biff isn't down for that and says: "While I think an EXIM could do that, my character is wary of EXIMs in general, and so would jump away if you grabbed at him." Biff does nothing, except perhaps jump away from Carl. It is ultimately Biff's decision, and nobody should expect to just state things and always expect them to happen the way they want... that's what powers are for.

Jim decides to get his revenge on John and wants to kidnap him. Jim gets a bunch of buddies and some rope, they corner John, and state that they collectively bum-rush him to bind him.  John figures that's reasonable because there's three of them.  John says that he thinks he'd get a shot off at someone random in the struggle, before ultimately loosing. Jim decides that's fair, reduces his HP, and the scene is then otherwise (safely) acted out.

Example for follow-up #1:
Bob the Android decides that his leg occasionally malfunctions and seizes up every few days.  He decides to apply a Cripple: LEG effect to himself, and hobbles around as if nothing is out of the ordinary.  A few minutes later, a bunch of Drom roll in on him... and he's very far from anyone who could help him if he got ripped to shreds. So he decides his leg isn't Crippled anymore and runs like hell.

Example for follow-up #2:
Matt decides he wants to teach a lesson to his rival, Jimmy.  They engage in some RP which results in Jimmy voluntarily having all of his limbs crippled.  Then Matt realizes that Jimmy has friends that will come and get him if anyone finds out, so, he decides to kill Jimmy. Jimmy likely could have gotten away and/or won the fight had they not engaged in the RP crippling of his limbs.
- Sub example: Matt leaves Jimmy crippled, and explains the situation to Ron to get some advice. Ron decides to walk up to Jimmy and shoot him dead.

~~~~~~~~~~
I post these as thoughts for discussion, without judgement on what should or should not be the case.
I think folk may be of differing minds about those follow-up examples Smile
~~~~~~~~~~

The easy answer is: "No, you can't do any of this."
The other easy answer is: "Yes, you can do this to yourself - but once done they can't be undone except by normal IG means; any consequences are up to you."
The various lines in between may or may not be worth exploring.

So - Staff - when you are back from vacation... please comment / set policy on this!
Thanks!

~ Conor
In principle, I think allowing voluntary status effects sets a bad precedent. Specifically, it engenders a social dynamic in which people who choose to undergo such are deemed "superior roleplayers" to those that don't. "EximDude, you just snorted a quarter pound of cocaine. You're so poisoned." "Uh, that's not a thing." "Steve did it last week. Steve's an awesome roleplayer. Don't you want to be like Steve?" "Uh, no... the rules don't say that's a thing, so I'm not going to do it." "Fine, no more cocaine for you."
(05-01-2015, 04:44 PM)John Pariury II Wrote: In principle, I think allowing voluntary status effects sets a bad precedent.  Specifically, it engenders a social dynamic in which people who choose to undergo such are deemed "superior roleplayers" to those that don't.  "EximDude, you just snorted a quarter pound of cocaine.  You're so poisoned."  "Uh, that's not a thing."  "Steve did it last week.  Steve's an awesome roleplayer.  Don't you want to be like Steve?" "Uh, no... the rules don't say that's a thing, so I'm not going to do it."  "Fine, no more cocaine for you."

I've always seen having an environment of RP one-up-manship to increase the overall level of RP at the game, not decrease it. I'm more concerned about people abusing it to make it seem they were attacked. "That dude grabbed my arm and now my arm is crippled."

The easy fix to this is only allow "self nerf" to happen if you go out of game, like going to NPC or at the beginning of the game. That way it isn't sudden and can't be abused. However, this also causes issues with burning available healing by people choosing to be damaged. But hey, that's kind of the point.
My suggestion:

1. If you were out on patrol/NPCing, and plot says you engaged in combat, you can optionally reduce your HP/En coming back into game by an amount plot agrees is reasonable, but you can also decide that you came through unscathed and/or got yourself fixed up somehow before coming back into town.

2. If you want to apply roleplay-based restrictions/effects to yourself, you can do so, but they are not ACTUALLY status effects, and do not require other people to spend En to remove them.

e.g. Joe the exim decides he's going to roleplay a cocane overdose. He thrashes around on the floor, and then lies there comatose. His buddies come back and slap him a couple times and dump a bottle of water on his head, and he thrashes a bit and seems to wake up, but not have full control of his limbs. When someone breaks in and attacks, he flails around completely inneffectively for a few seconds and falls down again, and is left for dead. He wakes up four hours later (the player needed a power nap anyway) with a splitting headache, but is otherwise fine.

Jim and John are roughhousing, and Jim decides that since John is much stronger than him, he'll loose and get injured. He yells and clutches his arm, and Jim (who wasn't really trying to hurt him, just blow off some steam) runs to fetch a doctor. The doc examines Jim, sees that the limb isn't actually crippled, and tells him it's just a sprain, put some ice on it, take an asprin, and stop being a baby. Jim whines a lot and nurses that arm for the rest of the day, but is still capable of using all his skills.

Bob the Android decides his leg malfunctions and seizes up every few days, so he hobbles around as if nothing is out of the ordinary. When he's suddenly surprised in the woods by a bug, he can still run for the hills, as whatever synthetic adrenaline equivalent floods through his system. (Think Watson's limp in BBC's Sherlock.)

3. During a fade-to-black, actual effects can be applied & HP/En can be reduced, IF the characters involved have the skills required to do those things.

e.g. Jim decides to get a bunch of his buddies to kidnap John, and they get some rope and state that they collectively bum-rush him. John decides that's fair, but that he'd have time to get a shot off. Jim agrees to lower his HP by the value of one firearms shot. John fires his gun at the ground, in case someone was nearby enough to have heard the shot, wraps the rope around himself, and then the scene is otherwise (safely) carried out.
Your suggestions make sense to me, Scarlet Jay.
I'm fine with Scarlet's suggestion.
Is Bob the Android single?
My Llama can kick your Ass.
Maude  "Granny" Miller-Lawrence