Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NW LARP Fest (XP opportunity)
Hi Contractors,
Your loyal game runner here, peaking his head out to bring you an important message. NW LARP Fest is coming up fast. If you attend, we will give you a point of XP. Most of Spite's staff will be in attendance and we'd love to have a big showing.

NW LARP FEST
I'll be running a short Firefly One-Shot on Saturday, 3-6pm
It's a 'characters-provided' One-Shot that I co-wrote with my good friend Erik Oberlin.

~ Conor
OMGOMGOMG totally playing both of those! If you need me to help do anything, message me.
My Llama can kick your Ass.
Maude  "Granny" Miller-Lawrence

You can help by bringing your friends!

No - really - Seriously!   The Firefly game works best with a 'full cast' - 25 players.

Because Erik Oberlin is a mad-genius of one-shot writing, it can be run with less and still be tons of fun...
...but, I'd really like to see it with a full cast.
We designed the game so that every character is a 'main character' - and the way it is designed, this actually works better with the maximum number of players.

Some info, probably way more than you need but enough to get hyped:
Characters are pre-generated and we use a super-simple-system for conflict resolution.
Most players will have some choice on what kind of character they play - we'll privately chat with you - ask you a couple of questions and/or you'll tell us the type of character you want. We'll give you the best matches of the characters we have left, usually with a few options ('Well, based on what you want, there's an Ace Mechanic or a Companion that fit that description - which would you prefer?'), and sometimes just an inspired declaration: ("This one is a Blue Sun scientist, and we are pretty sure you will love it based on what you said you liked to play")  
Generally, this goes pretty well and it works way better than completely random assignment.

While it'll be first-come first-serve from the sign-up list...
...even if you are dead last on the list, despair not!  
When myself and Erik write games, we write each character to be the main character of their own story.
When we are done with writing a character, we both have to honestly be able to say:
"I would want to play this character - I would have fun if this character was handed to me at random"
If we can't - we scrap the character.
(This is, of course, the other reason we want a full cast - we want to play all those characters - so - we at least want to see them all played!)

Keep in mind that characters are also tied to other characters too - and that is where the meat of the game is.
A lot of the character is in how you choose to play it.  We really do believe people would have fun with randomly assigned characters... we just know it is engaging and more fun when most players get to have a little bit of input.

Last thing - Costumes Encouraged!  
(But not required - they had T-Shirts in the 'Verse, so you can show up in one and it'll work fine Smile )
After we distribute characters, we will give players a few minutes to run and garb-change if they would like to do so / and/or grab some painted-nerf-guns if you have an armed character (of which there are many, not including the ones that don't need weapons to be dangerous). 
If you show up already dressed as a Space Cowboy or a Companion, we'll ask - and probably assume - that you want to play a character like that anyway, and you generally will get to do so.

~ Conor
(06-10-2015, 11:50 AM)Conor Tuohy Wrote: You can help by bringing your friends!

No - really - Seriously!   The Firefly game works best with a 'full cast' - 25 players.

Because Erik Oberlin is a mad-genius of one-shot writing, it can be run with less and still be tons of fun...
...but, I'd really like to see it with a full cast.
We designed the game so that every character is a 'main character' - and the way it is designed, this actually works better with the maximum number of players.

Some info, probably way more than you need but enough to get hyped:
Characters are pre-generated and we use a super-simple-system for conflict resolution.
Most players will have some choice on what kind of character they play - we'll privately chat with you - ask you a couple of questions and/or you'll tell us the type of character you want. We'll give you the best matches of the characters we have left, usually with a few options ('Well, based on what you want, there's an Ace Mechanic or a Companion that fit that description - which would you prefer?'), and sometimes just an inspired declaration: ("This one is a Blue Sun scientist, and we are pretty sure you will love it based on what you said you liked to play")  
Generally, this goes pretty well and it works way better than completely random assignment.

While it'll be first-come first-serve from the sign-up list...
...even if you are dead last on the list, despair not!  
When myself and Erik write games, we write each character to be the main character of their own story.
When we are done with writing a character, we both have to honestly be able to say:
"I would want to play this character - I would have fun if this character was handed to me at random"
If we can't - we scrap the character.
(This is, of course, the other reason we want a full cast - we want to play all those characters - so - we at least want to see them all played!)

Keep in mind that characters are also tied to other characters too - and that is where the meat of the game is.
A lot of the character is in how you choose to play it.  We really do believe people would have fun with randomly assigned characters... we just know it is engaging and more fun when most players get to have a little bit of input.

Last thing - Costumes Encouraged!  
(But not required - they had T-Shirts in the 'Verse, so you can show up in one and it'll work fine Smile )
After we distribute characters, we will give players a few minutes to run and garb-change if they would like to do so / and/or grab some painted-nerf-guns if you have an armed character (of which there are many, not including the ones that don't need weapons to be dangerous). 
If you show up already dressed as a Space Cowboy or a Companion, we'll ask - and probably assume - that you want to play a character like that anyway, and you generally will get to do so.

~ Conor

Shiny! So if I wear tight pants I get to be Captain?

I am not good at talking things up....maybe you could print up some fliers? It is running at the same time as the costume contest, Supers Anonymous and Red versus Blue, so it might be tough otherwise. I am sure there are a lot of Firefly fans, but everyone may be distracted.

Touch base with me sometime before game-- I have an interesting little prop I am willing to lend if you want to borrow it.
My Llama can kick your Ass.
Maude  "Granny" Miller-Lawrence

Of the 25 characters, four of them are captains. So, if you tell us you want to be a ship-captain and/or someone with some authority, we might be able to make that happen!

Yeah - we'll be putting fliers up.
The timing is what it is; there's no such thing as a perfect schedule for any convention.
It is sad to be up against the costume contest, as well as Supers Anonymous (especially because I wanted to play in that one, as well as hoping to have Taylor come play in Firefly).
I was also hoping to do the 'Art of the One Shot' panel... but as there's nothing in that space after it, maybe it'll still be going after Firefly, and maybe I can join in and add my own two cents?

Firefly has a 3 hour imprint (2 1/2 hour run-time, 30 mins for opening and closing), we knew we'd be up against other things.
We really can't do it any shorter; it has already been shortened by an hour and a half.

We'll be getting there before noon, traffic willing, so we'll have time to chat - I'll make sure I find you Smile

~ Conor