Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending IG Money "Back Home"
My character has a family back home and he is working to support them. IG, my character is sending money back home to them, but obviously it doesn't actually go anywhere. I can just have a certain amount that I don't spend and say "I sent home," but it doesn't seem fair to characters who aren't saving their money (families, retirement, etc.) that I have just as much money available as they do. PLUS, if a hacker gets into my account and takes some of that money that I "sent home," then they have taken money that IG, shouldn't exist.

It's not a big deal, but are there any thoughts on this?
Perhaps when you get to game, print an e-check and then just turn it over to he Hive?
I think it's really cool that you are asking this question.

I think there should be a 'Hive' account that folk can send money to for various reasons - as you can already add notes to a transaction...
...those notes could be used to say who the money is being sent to, and for what reason.
I may, for example, donate part of my pay back into Hands for the Future, as I 'really believe in them' as an organization Smile

Moreover, I also see the Hive doing things in reaction to this, based on how much you are trying to send and/or however much they know about who you are sending it to.

~ Conor
I like this too. As a machine, I don't have any family or vices (uh oh, getting an idea). But I would think that many human and exims would have joined specifically for their families, and it is an important part of their character. It also would give their role play a nice nuance--"sorry guys, can't go to the bar," or working "under the table" for other groups for extra cash.

(05-28-2015, 10:15 AM)Conor Tuohy Wrote: I think it's really cool that you are asking this question.

I think there should be a 'Hive' account that folk can send money to for various reasons - as you can already add notes to a transaction...
...those notes could be used to say who the money is being sent to, and for what reason.
I may, for example, donate part of my pay back into Hands for the Future, as I 'really believe in them' as an organization Smile

Moreover, I also see the Hive doing things in reaction to this, based on how much you are trying to send and/or however much they know about who you are sending it to.

~ Conor
My Llama can kick your Ass.
Maude  "Granny" Miller-Lawrence

I think after having two games, a reasonable mechanic for this is that the money that you send back home (or do whatever with) is roughly equal to the money that you made between games. Since we all come into game 2 with "coincidentally" the same amount of money that we had six months before, it gives everyone a cool chance to think about what they're doing with their pay.

So, my character sent pretty much all the money he could spare back home. Others may have spent it on food, clothes, drugs, booze, or other things that would be consumed or not present in a game. For those who only care about their gear or fighting equipment, maybe they bought new stuff (which could be represented by a fresh paint job on your gun or new costume features) or bought equipment to replace what they had after it broke/was stolen/expired/was used, etc. For those (few) who are being very responsible and saving their money for something, maybe that money is in a savings account where they can't touch it.

Yes, that means that if you want to say that your character was saving up between games to show up for game 2 with 10 guns, you can't reasonably do that, but in most cases I think that works fine (and maybe your buddies who don't need as much money could transfer (in an OOG sorta way) their credits to you for those guns).
Bejamin Weber
Exim
Helios Fire Station - Combat Support

[Image: image.aspx?image_type=upload&image_token...1&trypng=1]
I think we generally assume that any money you make between games gets spent between games, in whatever way makes sense for your character, which could be buying booze and resting or could be working your butt off and sending that money back home. There's always going to be a little bit of tension because things *happen* in those 6 months between games, but none of that stuff that happens matters from a game balance perspective.

Transferring money between Quarantine Zone areas and outside it is difficult, but not impossible. Rather than having money set aside that you never spend because you sent it back home, you can have money set aside that you never spend because you're planning to send it back home. That way, you could get incensed because some hacker stole your family's money without it being this weird thing where you act like it wasn't _really_ in that account.

As for Conor's thing about donating money back to HftF, you can actually already do that if you want. The money you get paid for your service comes from an account, and there's nothing stopping you from sending money right back to that account. Dr. Jensen might be grateful.

As for Michael's thing about saving up money for guns, you can actually already do that buy buying credits with Hive Points. That's only 1 extra gun per game, but guns are expensive.

But besides that, having an "Inter-bank transfer" account might not be a bad idea story-wise. I'll talk it over with Plot.