Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dying nerf guns
So I scored a deal on blasters and am trying a new way to base coat them, but for it to work I would need to evenly heat water to about 175 F for an extended time. I'm considering my oven, but I don't have good info on how even oven temperatures are over time. If someone here had info or another method to do this I'd love to hear from you.
Presumably you're using idye poly? When I dye discs, I heat 1.5 cups in the microwave on medium for 2 minutes.

Alternatively, mix your dye with acetone and use a paintbrush. Just be sure to wipe the acetone right after brushing it on - if left for too long (more than a couple seconds), you'll start to melt the plastic.
Actually, the method I found uses your bog standard RIT fabric dye. It probably takes more time than your method (recommended 75 - 80 C temp soak for hours), but it's more accessible at this point.

>.>

I may go to Goodwill and find a trash gun to try it with first. In fact I think I shall.
So, in disc dyeing, RIT dye isn't used because they changed the recipe about 5 years ago - it doesn't stain and adhere to plastic particularly well (or, if you wanted to use it on cloth, it's doesn't dye nylon particularly well). If you really want to hunt down good RIT, the stuff from 2009 or earlier will work fine. 2011 or later will not. 2010 is a mixed bag - earlier in the year is more likely, later is not. You can check the batch number on the box - it's a 5 digit number signifying the day of the year: 12310 would be "day 123, 2010".

Jacquard iDye Poly, otoh, is made specifically for dyeing nylon, and by extension, plastics. You'll get a stronger color in general. Sounds like you're doing a room-temp dip method, which does take hours. Heat-dipping, you're generally warming the water to boil temp, and the color adheres within minutes. If you're interested, you can also do an overnight shaving cream method with the dye that will give you more of a mottled look. Note: there is Jacquard iDye and Idye Poly - you want the Poly.

A couple other notes:

1 - you'll want to wipe off any paint that's on the gun (usually the Nerf logo, sometimes along minor additions). Use cotton balls, a sponge, or some glasses-cleaning cloth and acetone to wipe it away. Make sure to go back over the area with water to remove the acetone after.
2 - remember that dyeing is an additive process. A gray or white gun will come out roughly the color of dye, but using blue dye on a yellow gun will result in greenish gun.
Well, I'm glad I did a test run, because it didn't work at all. I tried a heat dip for a long long long ass time and it didn't take. I'm interested in the acetone brush method. What do you use to rinse, just a running water rinse or something to neutralize the acetone?
I used running water and a clean paper towel. Take special care to clean any moving components - on the Revonix 360, I had a couple melts along the slide that required some maintenance.

Are you still using RIT? It probably won't work, even as an acetone brush-on.

Also, make sure you're removing any paint. Painted parts will not dye.
I'll hunt up some iDye. Thanks a ton JP!
No problem! Remember: iDye Poly, not straight iDye. (link) Smile Joann's Fabrics usually carries it, Michaels is pretty hit or miss.

Oh! I forgot to mention: your iDye poly will come with "color intensifier". Throw that out - it doesn't really work well for solid plastics.