Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contracts
I think I'm still missing something.

Follow my reasoning:
  1. If the character is jumping ship midgame, then there's nothing that really stops people from taking 2nd Amendment steps to ensuring the security of their group's equipment.
  2. If the character jumps ship between games but brings the stuff and is in attendance as the next game, see 1.
  3. If the character jumps ship between games but doesn't bring the tags, it's no different than if they didn't jump and failed to bring the tags.
  4. If the character just doesn't attend, then jumping ship isn't a factor.

Making contract time in out-of-game mechanic doesn't really resolve those things.

Similarly, I don't see how having a medic run off with all of a group's medkits, and then have their player buy their way out of their contract with a hive point or two, really prevented them from running off with your medkits? Is the character supposed to tell you "No, no, it's all good, see ya!", and expect no reprisal because their player spent hive points?

None of those are situations that can be resolved through having an out-of-game defined buy-out and card-recorded contract period. In general, I think the game would be better served by having those sorts of things recorded somewhere in-game, not out-of-game. Then those records could be stolen, hacked, renegotiated, etc. Having it be an OOG mechanical function reduces, rather than improves, the opportunities for roleplay.
I don't think you quite got what I meant about Hive Points. I don't mean to say someone can buy themselves out of a contract with Hive Points. I meant they could shorten their STARTING contracts at character CREATION time. The reason for this is I met several people who wanted to come in military, at the end of their contracts, so that at Game#2 they could 'retire' and join a different faction.

Also, this effects the game a lot, as TWICE now we've been charged 2000cr+ to get someone out of their contracts. If the storytellers are going to charge us a significant chunk of cash to swap contracts, then it stands to reason that its definitely an in game effect.
William Myers aka Cossak Symon Jenkins
That certainly makes a good case for having that determined at character creation, but I don't know that this makes a strong case for having it as a defined stat on your character card. Storytellers can charge us an arm and a leg for all sorts of roleplay results; I don't see a strong need to have that as a static out-of-game mechanic.

I do think roleplay should allow characters to have the opportunity to negotiate lower fees (to the point of elimination). I can even see a case being made for having a general guideline put in the rulebook - "typically, it costs X to be released from your contact early". But making this a mechanic rather than a function of roleplay just generally feels wrong to me.
Or, you know, tell them until they can pay for the transfer, it's considered desertion. There is a war on, and they have been drafted for another tour.
In general people shouldn't be jumping ship without a VERY good reason. If you find your faction isn't your jam, I highly recommend trying a new character completely. I've seen some things lately that are bordering on metagaming that will be addressed. The buyouts were actually a way of allowing people to continue to play their characters and not just remove them from the game, there was never an intention to allow people to jump ship but are hands were forced and we came up with what we could. It would have made more sense to remove the characters from the Quarantine Zone for the lawyers to figure out later but that wouldn't have been fun for those involved.

There were some special cases at game one but in all honesty, if a character wants to jump ship at game, that will be handled IG and if they are at game, their contract runs bare minimum through that game. If they absolutely must jump ship mid game, then that's an IG conversation but I get that both sides have good points.

I'll discuss with the team how we'd like to handle how long someone's contract is and how to record/prove that.
Just want to stress Ron, I'm not complaining about how it was handled. The roleplay was excellent. Smile

Was just saying, since we've seen it more then once, it might be a good idea to codify it. That's why I put it in the discussion board, not to cause ripples, just to hash out ideas.

Again, roleplay was excellent, not complaining in the least Smile
William Myers aka Cossak Symon Jenkins
So we've got some bigger things on our plate for game 2 but I am adding this to the list of roll-outs for game 3. I'll implement something to at the bare minimum will show record of how long a contract runs.
Looking at another thread
http://spitelarp.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=443
You can change SIC with a downtime Response:
Downtime response. 3 hive points
3 Hive points = $15 or 3 hours of work.

So if people want to change SIC, it costs $15. Probably.

Tags aren't faction aligned. I don't see any reason contract and SIC are tied to your tags.

I dont like the concept of contracts expiring. It adds a sort of time limit on a character beyond death or extreme lawbreaking. I feel that contract renewal is something that happens automatically offscreen unless you have done something heinous to cause its removal.
Key thing in that post: "If you want a write-up beyond, "it happens" you'll need to purchase a downtime." Meaning, you can transition to another SIC without purchasing a DT response. Your character just gets the conversion and it is uneventful. If you want a full write-up and some sort of happening, you'd need to submit a DT request.

Tags will in no way be tied to specific groups. If your tags are stolen by someone, you'll need to work it out IG.

Contract expiration will (more than likely) be handled like this: Contract runs through X date. It will auto renew unless otherwise specified by the contractor or CG. No added headache for those not interested in interacting with the contracts.