Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusing Costume Pieces
Last game, I wore two gloves that I decorated with plates and ports, simply because they look really cool. For my character, they are grip/strength-assisting mechanical gloves, but they don't have any real effect (I might say that something I'm carrying doesn't feel heavy to me, but I'm not going to contest the strength of an exim or cyborg with cybernetic arms). Just for flavor.

However, my character is is a cyborg with a power core and a weapons jack. Again, just for flavor, I ran glowing EL wire from my power core to the gloves (my logic being that grip-assist gloves would need a power source). But once in-game, I realized that a lot of people were (fairly) assuming that my gloves were Cybernetic Hands (even though there were no blades/claws attached). I corrected a few who mentioned it, but I'm sure that there are many others.

So, is this a problem? It`s not terribly likely, but I could imagine a hostile player (or a Drom) seeing me without my gun and instead of thinking "oh look, an unarmed target, get him" they might think "oh look, a cyborg with two Cybernetc Hands, he's got melee capability" and go after someone else.

I'm not trying to cheat or mislead anyone - I just really like the look of oversized, clunky gloves. Should I leave them off my costume for next game? Spend my earned XP point on Cybernetic Hands (which I don't really want or need) to avoid confusion? Or are they fine? I would appreciate player feedback as well as a Hive ruling.
Bejamin Weber
Exim
Helios Fire Station - Combat Support

[Image: image.aspx?image_type=upload&image_token...1&trypng=1]
Cyborgs are allowed to look "more cybernetic" than their current skills allow. I don't see your costuming choice as an issue.
You're also totally allowed to make things on your body look cybernetic that don't go with skills. A cyborg can look as coborg-y as they want, but maybe they just don't have "that model" of cyber hand/arm/whatever that grants the extra skills.
I read that as "IG, these are 'power-assist gloves', not cybernetic enhancements in and of themselves". Did I misread your intent, Michael?
JP - Yes, that's right. Again, I don't expect that I can do anything extra in-game because of the gloves. I view them kind of like another one of JP's many tools.
Bejamin Weber
Exim
Helios Fire Station - Combat Support

[Image: image.aspx?image_type=upload&image_token...1&trypng=1]