Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal: Can we make a full fake identity with hacking?
Here's why I ask:
In the current system, Say I was a character named Julie Deze, and to hide my activities I changed the name on my digital account to John Doe.
My bank account still would be listed as Julie Deze.
If I did hacking, the hacking would come up is John Doe.
But if I were to have an ID card with my QR code on it, it will come up John Doe.
Which gives away the secret identity.

While if I was able to make a fake Identity I could:
Hack as that identity
Hide funds within that identities account (having to cover tracks of transfers of course)
Still have a legitimate ID for use and payment Smile

It would be something that could be force added as an alias if you got caught somehow by government
Or even added to your secret info if they didn't want you to know they tied you together.
There are not current plans to allow creation of new People.  However, there are a few possibilities that your scenario misses.
  • You can change the name of your personal credit account (http://web.spitelarp.com/ig/account/...) and your digital identity (http://web.spitelarp.com/ig/person/...) independently.  You described changing your digital identity, but you could change your bank account's name too.
  • Let's say you, *ahem*, found an ID card lying around and happen to know that that person is no longer able to use their identity for anything.  There's nothing stopping you from carrying around that ID card as if it's your own.  You can even change the name to be whatever you like.
As for hacking as your other identity, that is explicitly not in there, for both technical and game reasons.  When you leave bread crumbs as your hacker, you leave a trail back to your real identity, which someone might be able to find later.  Now, it's possible you're not known widely as John Doe and so more investigation is needed to figure out who to stab, but that's the trail you have to obfuscate, and the reason behind having the ability to change your name.
OK soooo that takes care of the technical side of the question, considering we are staying in this limitation that leads to a couple questions. Some may be questions for another area of the boards and could be moved:

Is there concerns that our ID Cards are going to be scanned to verify who we are? Following the above example if Julie Deze is carrying around a ID card issues last game with her real name. Are UEF/Military (mainly focusing on NPCs) or others in the position to scan our ID cards? As scanning it would indicate the card belongs to John Doe and cause issues.

Is there intended to be FOIG solutions to this? For example if Julie was a sanctioned hacker for the Agency or such that perhaps her secret information section would note the name change is sanctioned and to be discreetly handle (i.e. still gonna be some hassles but no true trouble)?

Considering the benefits of being able to take ID cards are those we encounter supposed to have them (player and npc)?

Is there maybe a FOIG Market/source for such items Smile
(02-19-2016, 10:39 AM)Cassie Lee McElhaney Wrote: Is there concerns that our ID Cards are going to be scanned to verify who we are?  Following the above example if Julie Deze is carrying around a ID card issues last game with her real name.  Are UEF/Military (mainly focusing on NPCs) or others in the position to scan our ID cards?  As scanning it would indicate the card belongs to John Doe and cause issues.

Scanning an ID card is the only way to be sure it's a "legitimate" ID card and not some sort of photoshopped job.  If you've changed your name between when the ID card was issued and when someone scans it... hijinks ensue.  There were some problems (OOG/IG) scanning badges last game, so personnel were not relying on that method, which potentially allowed for some more nefarious things for those who were so inclined.  Plus, scanning requires you to actually pull out your phone, which is a huge pain to verify someone so clearly trustworthy as you.

What information you may be missing is that if you've hacked your name to be John Doe in the official online record, the ID card you'll be given at Logistics when you check in as Julie Deze is going to have the name John Doe on it.  That is the official record, after all.

There may be another factor complicating identity theft that we'll be announcing on the forums later, though.

(02-19-2016, 10:39 AM)Cassie Lee McElhaney Wrote: Considering the benefits of being able to take ID cards are those we encounter supposed to have them (player and npc)? 

NPCs who are legitimately operating in the Quarantine Zone as part of a CG should have ID cards.  Refugees may or may not, depending on how much they've lost since the fall.  They shouldn't really be staying in the QZ long-term, though.  PCs will be getting them at Logistics, and they "should" be carrying them at all times so they don't get herded in with the refugees.  Whether that actually happens, though, is up to the individual.

(02-19-2016, 10:39 AM)Cassie Lee McElhaney Wrote: Is there intended to be FOIG solutions to this?  For example if Julie was a sanctioned hacker for the Agency or such that perhaps her secret information section would note the name change is sanctioned and to be discreetly handle (i.e. still gonna be some hassles but no true trouble)?  

Is there maybe a FOIG Market/source for such items Smile

I couldn't possibly comment Wink