Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melee weapon questions
Hihi!  So I haven't attended an event yet but one of your players has got me all excited... so if I'm still living in the area by September I'm really hoping I'll see all of you then!  As part of that excitement I've naturally started digging in, prepping, all that good stuff, and I'm a tad confused on weapons:

1) It mentions in a few places that the game wants 'modern' melee weapons, and in another place in this forum it talks about how katanas would not be considered modern / not be available.  I'm totally good with that but wanna make sure I'm on the right track before spending too much time building something wrong.  Are there any good examples of what would count as 'modern'?  Machetes are in use today of course, there are chainsword latex replicas out there for getting futuristic, sabers are used in modern military (eg. USMC) but mostly decoratively... that's all I can think of that isn't a replica of a classic design.  Is it basically just 'don't put a fancy or crossguard or hilt'?

2) I've only used boffer weapons before, when we talk 'latex' weapons here is it more like this:
How to build a foam / latex katana style sword  (Lite crafty foam over a fiberglass core w/ latex over it)
or 
How to build an alternative to latex larp sword part 1  (Heavy foam over a fiberglass core w/ latex over it)
or 
Something else entirely?

3) What kind of specifications / minimum safety requirements are there on melee weapons?  Minimal tip length, minimal padding on the pommel, can the hilt be all spikey looking (not actual metal of course, but potentially putting out an eye if an eye got near the hilt for some weird reason), can there be protrusions (like chainsword foam-miniblades), minimal sword length for daggers/claws, etc?

4) Are most vendor swords ok or are some of them offlimits safety-wise?  (Not that I can afford them from what I can see at the moment, $100+ for a weapon is a great incentive to just make my own, but still)

5) What is considered 'dual-wielding' here (based on the 'jack of all trades' skill limitation).  Is dual-wielding two equal-sized swords, sword and dagger, sword and pistol, two pistols, etc

Ok, that's my start questions on this topic, I'm sure I'll have more over time! Angel
Hi there! Im not staff but Ill answer your questions as best I can!

1. Modern weapons are anything you could find in your standard survival store today or anything regarded as futuristic like chain swords, they have a cheaper IG price than "Ancient" weapons, which are things like older weaopns, katanas, broadswords, roman swords etc.

2. As I understand it, Latex weapons are any weapons that are coated in latex and look realistic, like Calimacil or Epic Armory type weapons, both of which are great makers of weapons, so I suggest you check them out.

3. The limitations and requirements around melee weapons can be found in the rulebook here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5D5ePO...45Z0k/view
but as I recall, the limitation on length is that the blade is no longer than 4 ft.

4. not sure what you are asking and thus dont have an answer

5. dual wielding melee weaopns can only be done if you have melee via the melee skill and not the JOT skill. dual wielding can be any combination of melee weapons, so long as they fall into the melee weapon safety requirements listed in the rulebook. so yes, you can dual wield to swords of different lengths, or the same length, or a sword and a dagger, or two daggers or whatever, as long as they meet the safety requirements and you have the appropriate skill.

hope this helped!
CHARACTERS:

Cyrus Wilson
 - Warsal
 - "Putting sharp things through soft things that scream and bleed"
[DECEASED]:
Damien Cyn
  -Legion Member
   -"Helios"
(05-05-2016, 06:30 PM)Mark Osten Wrote: Hi there! Im not staff but Ill answer your questions as best I can!

1. Modern weapons are anything you could find in your standard survival store today or anything regarded as futuristic like chain swords, they have a cheaper IG price than "Ancient" weapons, which are things like older weaopns, katanas, broadswords, roman swords etc.

2. As I understand it, Latex weapons are any weapons that are coated in latex and look realistic, like Calimacil or Epic Armory type weapons, both of which are great makers of weapons, so I suggest you check them out.

3. The limitations and requirements around melee weapons can be found in the rulebook here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5D5ePO...45Z0k/view
but as I recall, the limitation on length is that the blade is no longer than 4 ft.

4. not sure what you are asking and thus dont have an answer

5. dual wielding melee weaopns can only be done if you have melee via the melee skill and not the JOT skill. dual wielding can be any combination of melee weapons, so long as they fall into the melee weapon safety requirements listed in the rulebook. so yes, you can dual wield to swords of different lengths, or the same length, or a sword and a dagger, or two daggers or whatever, as long as they meet the safety requirements and you have the appropriate skill.

hope this helped!

Sweet, thank you for the quick reply, you rock!  This is an awesome start Smile

For (3) I'd seen that in the rulebook, though I know boffer-larps usually have extra limitations.  For example Nero (I haven't played in that but its a common enough larp) has "A thrusting tip consists of at least two inches of open cell foam padding beyond the end of the pipe insulation. If the foam tip is too small, opponents could get hurt with a stiff thrust. If the tip is too large, it could easily break off or fold over, making it useless."  That kind of stuff.  But if its just 'be safe and under 4' ' that's totally good w/ me, I can just use common standards in the construction Smile

(4) Sorry about that ><  What I'd meant is whether there was something to look for that would make the weapon non-acceptable, like if any vendors made 'pretty latex swords that were unsafe' (not enough padding, wrong materials inside, etc).  Not a big deal either way, will probably learn to make my own Smile

Thank you for everything Smile
As for (4), Calamacil weapons have a reputation of very stiff foam and generally get looked at with a little more scrutiny during safety checks. (But dang are they pretty)
(05-06-2016, 03:11 PM)Ben Thayer Wrote: As for (4), Calamacil weapons have a reputation of very stiff foam and generally get looked at with a little more scrutiny during safety checks.  (But dang are they pretty)

They do look so pretty! Looked at both the sites and they look fantastic... I hope mine will turn out as pretty Big Grin But they are usually accepted, right?
(05-09-2016, 11:11 AM)Noctifer Duma Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 03:11 PM)Ben Thayer Wrote: As for (4), Calamacil weapons have a reputation of very stiff foam and generally get looked at with a little more scrutiny during safety checks.  (But dang are they pretty)

They do look so pretty! Looked at both the sites and they look fantastic... I hope mine will turn out as pretty Big Grin But they are usually accepted, right?

usually yes, because calimacil is injection molded some pieces sometimes come out harder or softer than others, but its usually pretty consistent and accepted. my friend brought 2 calimicl items to game and had not problems with them
CHARACTERS:

Cyrus Wilson
 - Warsal
 - "Putting sharp things through soft things that scream and bleed"
[DECEASED]:
Damien Cyn
  -Legion Member
   -"Helios"
Yes, if it's very stiff, spend a night working the foam to soften it a bit, so that it has more give. Ultimately though they usually pass.