Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanic questions
So, I haven't yet played a game of spite, and am new to the game. I have some questions on how some abilities and props end up working.

So, to understand where I am coming from with these questions, I want to create a "Doctor" themed character, who can do as much harm as good with his medical know-how.

Looking at Finesse, which is Ranged, I could effectively simulate my desire to walk up to people and "inject them" with a point blank shot from a blaster, for this instance, I would use a small, single shot white blaster with a bottle attachment. (Personally, I wanted to use syringes) 

This blaster would also act my Stimpack and Vita-injector, by swapping out bottles as is appropriate.

Would I still need firearms rank 1 to deliver finesse abilities if I call no damage? Would this be allowed, or am I pushing things? 
And, lastly, would I have to purchase a firearm if I am not doing damage, and have nothing more then a glorified "needle" cannon Tongue.
The finesse path effects are delivered through blasters or thrown weapons. To use a blaster or a thrown weapon you need the appropriate skill. Ergo, yes, you would need firearms rank 1. You could however take Jack of All Trades to get that firearms rank 1 and some other useful abilities. Secondly, as it's a blaster delivered attack, you would need a functioning tagged blaster to deliver said attack.

(Note: I'm not a rules marshal, just reading the book)
Hi Michael,

Welcome to Spite. I'm Ron, one of the game's creators.

So vita-injectors and stimpacks need their own prop and can't be combined with a firearm, since that's a separate tagged item. So there would be no way to deliver those effects from a firearm. That being said, I personally use a singleshot NERF gun with a BD Vacutainer Holder glued to it as an injector. That way I can place different Vacutainers into the holder for different types of injections. The nice air puff against the skin is nice for immersion. So you definitely got the right idea for the injector.

You'll note that both of those items already come with a draw back for the recipient, simulating the harm of temporary medicines.
(05-31-2016, 05:11 PM)Ron Leota Wrote: Hi Michael,

Welcome to Spite. I'm Ron, one of the game's creators.

So vita-injectors and stimpacks need their own prop and can't be combined with a firearm, since that's a separate tagged item. So there would be no way to deliver those effects from a firearm. That being said, I personally use a singleshot NERF gun with a BD Vacutainer Holder glued to it as an injector. That way I can place different Vacutainers into the holder for different types of injections. The nice air puff against the skin is nice for immersion. So you definitely got the right idea for the injector.

You'll note that both of those items already come with a draw back for the recipient, simulating the harm of temporary medicines./

Fair enough, I am trying to find a way to simulate the effect of real drugs. Using firefly as my example, Simon once walked up and doped Jayne up so he couldn't do anything, and that is what I was shooting to simulate. Any suggestions? Stimpack and vita-injector are dandy, but I want the real drugs we would use that make medicine so dangerous in the first place. ;P
Hi Michael,

For the sake of not making the rules cumbersome, we didn't include heroin, cocaine, and the thousands of other possible chemicals you could inject into a human for an effect. Those are up to our PCs to rep themselves. If you'd like an IC reason, at this time there isn't a neurotoxin available to your character that you can get through the screening process.

The concept of Spite is quick and easy rules. As much as we'd love to simulate all drugs, it's something we leave up to our players to rep. There are a number of people IG who play drug addicted characters and choose to rep their drugs through RP. As an example of the creative "uses of drugs": one character injected himself with a vita-injector (to apply the IG poison effect) and then OD'd on his drug of choice (choosing to fall to unconscious, per the death rules), in an attempt to kill himself after a severe emotional trauma. Other characters use and the RP the effects in a way they choose.

You'll find that many players at Spite are very willing to participate in role-play, it's the main focus of the game. It's very specifically not a rules heavy game, so people have room to free-form RP.