Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light suggestions / questions
Hi hi everyone!

So coming back from last event (awesome, you all rock - thank you everyone participating / putting it together!) I realized that my headlights were cheerfully dying out and provided about as much light as matchstick.  And that I couldn't figure out how to see well into the forest.  So thinking through new gear for upcoming event.  I am thinking a body light and a barrel light will work well / meet my needs.

First off requirements and goals (understanding and questions):
1) Must be a red light.  (did I get that right?  any cases when white is ok / recommended)?
2) Must be angled down and away from people's eyes.  (what would you say is a good angle?  Since its obviously dependent on distance but you won't be adjusting constantly mid-fight - if I were to build a little foam wedge to keep the barrel light slightly down when aiming horizontally, and the body-light slightly down.. what angle-range would you suggest I should plan for?)
3) No strobe.  (Ok, that's not in a rule-book but I have someone who comes with me to the larp that, if you start a strobe in her field of vision, we'll have to physically carry her out of there - and I'm fairly certain she's not the only one)
4) Not too bright (blinding people everywhere) or too dim (tripping on everything)
5) Ideally not having to click through white-lights to get to red-lights or vice versa (otherwise when someone says 'hit the lights' I'd need to cover my lights w/ a jacket and take a few seconds going through 'really really bright white' to get to anything useful / turn things off)

So along those lines (and those questions), here's what I was thinking for barrel light so far..
*Smith and Wesson Galaxy 6 LED Flashlight (3 Red and 3 White) - has a separate red light button, starts in high and go down three levels.  There's brighter versions but they have less red LEDs and 'very birght' isn't the goal..  though I don't know if this would be too dim?
*Yliyaya Mini Adjustable Lens Beam Zoom 3 Modes - contrary to the product description the people who actually bought it indicate a single mode with twisting the tip to adjust the beam focus, and no actual strobe (unless you're clicking the back on and off repeatedly) - so kinda nice in that once you set your beam focus you don't have to click through a variety of other modes to get to what you want

And for the body-cam (used headlights but that brightness right over my eye totally blew out my long-distance vision at night, I ended up dropping that light to my chest during the game anyway) it has been suggested that I grab something like:
US Military Surplus MX-991 Flashlight
French Military Surplus Anglehead Flashlight, 2 Pack
or other actual military angled lens - has red lenses that can be swapped out easily (so no flipping through modes), sturdy and lasting, can secure bottom and dangle it slightly at desired angle (and I'd add a wedge piece to keep it from bouncing too much and keep it from elevating into people's faces)

Sooooo that's where I'm at with questions and thoughts.   What do people think on the questions and which lights they'd suggest (or which lights are working really well for you that people aren't complaining about)
Hi Noctifer, lets see if I can help clear some of your confusion and answer some questions Smile
for simplicities sake Im gonna do it in point form just so its not a wall of text or what not.

1. only mounted lights (shoulder, gun or head) need to be red, otherwise you can have white lights as long as they are pointed down/not at other people.
2. I usually keep my light pointing 30 degrees down or lower. there is no set standard for this, you just generally want to make sure you arent pointing it at an angle where it could be in someones eyes. I also would keep any white lights turned off during a fight personally, minimize risk and all that. It is my understanding however that red lights dont need to follow the angle down rule, though I could be wrong

I personally dont know much about the lights you have querries about, but the general rule is good judgement, if it seems like a light, even a red one is too bright at night use a dimmer one or put a diffuser on it.

If you have further questions or more specific ones I would be happy to help answer them as best I can!

-Mark
SPITE Rules and Community Staff
CHARACTERS:

Cyrus Wilson
 - Warsal
 - "Putting sharp things through soft things that scream and bleed"
[DECEASED]:
Damien Cyn
  -Legion Member
   -"Helios"